globeinvestor.com - Help - Lost your Stocklist
Online Help: Lost my Stocklist
About Lost my Stocklist: The site uses Web browser "cookie" technology to enable your PC to remember your personal Stocklist. It does so by placing a unique number in the cookie file on your PC when you create your list. The list of stocks and indexes you define is stored on our host server along with this unique number. Every time you access your Stocklist (e.g., for a price or company report, or to update the list), the browser passes the unique number to the host.
This setup has a few obvious consequences:
In the case of Netscape, all cookies are stored in a single file called
"cookies.txt." This file is usually stored in the Netscape subdirectory. For example in the case of Windows 95, it could be stored as C:\Program Files\Netscape\cookies.txt.
- If the cookie file disappears from your PC, the link between your PC and the list of stocks and indexes we have stored for you is lost and cannot be recovered.
- Your Stocklist can only be accessed using the PC on which it was created.
If you are using Netscape Profiles, please ensure that you login under the profile you created the list with, otherwise the cookie file will not be found.
Listed below are the issues and solutions in regards to the Stocklist:
1. Your browser must be configured to accept cookies (this is the default for browsers). If you have your browser set to warn you when a cookie file is sent, you must accept it in order to set up a Stocklist.
2. Do NOT use Windows Explorer to erase temporary Internet files. Deleting temporary Internet files with Windows Explorer erases the cookie file. Instead, use your browser directly, following the steps below that apply in your particular case.
3. If you shut down your computer without first exiting your Web browser (Netscape or Internet Explorer), the "cookie" file we send is lost since it remains in cache until the Web browser is properly closed. Only when you exit the Web browser does the cookie file actually get written to your hard disk.
- Internet Explorer 3.0: View | Options | Advanced | Settings | Empty Folder.
- Internet Explorer 4.0: View | Internet Options | Delete Files.
- Netscape 3.0: Options | Network Preferences | Cache | Clear Disk Cache Now.
- Netscape 4.x: Edit | Preferences | Clear History
4. You must use the same Web browser to access your Stocklist as you used to create it. For example, if you use both Netscape and Internet Explorer, you cannot access a Stocklist set up in Netscape if you are using Internet Explorer.
5. If you upgrade to a new browser (for example: Netscape 3.0 to Netscape 4.04) and install the new browser in a new directory, you can no longer access your Stocklist with the new browser. You will need to re-enter your Stocklist using the new browser.
6. If you are running your Web browser from a network drive in your office, you may not
be able to "write" cookies to the network drive, which would result in the
Stocklist working the first time you set it up but not subsequent times.
7. Your computer's system date/year must be current.
8. You must be using the more recent versions of Netscape or Internet Explorer Web browsers. You can download the latest version of Netscape at: http://www.netscape.com/download/
You can download the latest version of Internet Explorer at: http://www.microsoft.com/ie/download/
9. Virus detecting software can delete the cookie file if it has been selected to clean out cookie files upon each start of your computer. You must de-select this option.
10. Your cookie file must not be read-only.
- Netscape users: In Windows Explorer, open the folder where your cookies.txt resides. This is usually the C:\Program Files\Netscape folder. Click with your right mouse button on the cookie.txt file. Click Properties. Make sure the box beside Read-Only is not checked.
- Internet Explorer users: In Windows Explorer:
- Click with your right mouse button on the c:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files folder. Click Properties. Make sure the box beside Read-Only is not checked.
- Click with your right mouse button on the c:\Windows\Cookies folder. Click Properties. Make sure the box beside Read-Only is not checked.
- Open the c:\Windows\Cookies folder. Click with your right mouse button on the investdb.theglobeandmail.txt file. Click Properties. Make sure the box beside Read-Only is not checked.
Get help with...
Create/Update Stocklist | Lost my Stocklist | Stocklist Reports